Thursday, November 6, 2008

Taking it all for granted

I'm sitting here on my comfy couch, watching my English speaking television show, typing on my laptop. Johnny and Jacob are doing math at the kitchen table and Jess is upstairs studying for a test. I had lunch with the college son today at Freebirds -- delicious and it wasn't pizza or Indian food. I took my laptop to India but after I killed my straightener by simply plugging it in at the hotel in India I didn't DARE plug my laptop in. The windows are open and it's cool in the house. The season is changing and Fall is in the air.

I have a really comfortable life that I often take for granted. There's nothing like taking a trip to a country where thousands and thousands are living in poverty to make one awfully thankful for even the little things.

On Wednesday last week we had a women's conference at our hotel. Because of the language barrier and tight time schedule, there was little interaction between us and the women attending. We did have a sort of receiving line near the end of the day, however. Each woman came by and greeted us. Some knew a little English. Most could at least say, "Praise the Lord," (which they use as a greeting...it's that awesome?) or hello. For me, it was the best part of the day. I pray that the time of teaching was used by God and that He Himself spoke to the hearts of the women through the messages. But, grasping those women's hands, looking them in the eye, and even without words there was a bond of sisterhood. We are one in Christ. Though we live oceans apart, in vastly different cultures, in completely different circumstances, we serve and belong to the same God. One body, one church, one family.

During the conference I read the following verse from the Revelation. I imagine the day when we all stand before the throne of the Lamb of God, worshipping in a language that we all understand. Our differences won't matter. Our sorrows will be over, our difficulties gone.

And they sang a new song, saying,"Worthy are You to take the book, and to break its seals; for You were slain, and did purchase for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. Revelation 5:9

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: