Saturday, November 8, 2008

Finally Recovered (I hope!)

I slept 12 hours last night. I hope I am finally over the jet lag and stomach issue I've had since returning from India. On the other hand, I hope to never be the same again. Being stretched and out of my comfort zone for a week has given me new perspective. What we do for the cause of Christ is not dependent on what we think we can do. Can I get an amen?

I knew I would be speaking at the village, at the women's conference, and to the pastors' wives in India. On Wednesday, however, I saw the speaking schedule for the pastors' conference and guess whose name was on the agenda?? Can I tell you that just a little bit of panic spread over me as I saw "Mrs. Dickerson" listed on Friday night? On Wednesday I saw it, mind you, for Friday night. I'm not a preacher or a public speaker and I don't have a pocket full of sermons or lessons. I did take along an extra outline, however. I mentioned to Jimmy (who was on the original schedule to go right before me) what my topic might be. He said that, too, was his topic. I had this vague thought that it would all work out. Anyway, I woke up early Thursday morning, before my roommate, thinking about Elijah and Ahab on Mt. Carmel from 1 Kings 17, 18, and 19. I had an outline on my computer, I knew. I went into the bathroom (as not to disturb Beth) and wrote notes as fast as I could before my laptop battery died. (If you saw my last post you know that I was afraid to plug in the computer because I already fried my hair straightener.) The next part of the story is very important...

On Thursday morning we were picked up for our daily drive of 45 minutes to 1 hour to the conference center. On the drive over, I told Jimmy about my topic from 1 Kings 17-19 and he assured me he would not be preaching from that text. We arrived at the morning conference just as one of the preachers went up to preach. Do you know what happened? Really, you are not going to believe it -- HE PREACHED FROM 1 KINGS 17, 18, AND 19!! I think my heart stopped. I know I had a feeling of panic. The longer he preached, the worse it got. At one point, I leaned over and put my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands. One of my new friends reached over and put her hand on my back and I was on the verge of tears. Then, somehow, it seemed as though he was preaching right at me. You see, after Elijah had the great victory over the false prophets on Mt. Carmel, he went into hiding. He was scared and discouraged but God met him at his point of need and gave him encouragement and instruction.

On Wednesday, at the women's conference, one of my points was from Deuteronomy 8. As I was sitting there listening to the preacher, I thought about that text. In verse 3 it reads, "And He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know..." At that moment I was starving and the only possible resource I had was for God to provide. So, as I sat there God formulated an outline and I jotted some notes. I didn't have my computer so I could use research materials -- all I had was God and His Word. ALL I HAD...

And it was enough. I don't know if what I said on Friday night at the pastors' conference made one bit of sense. My interpretter said I did a good job. Not that I was seeking her praise, but God proved something to me once again...

He's more than enough.

And I am His humble servant.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: