Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ridgecrest - Day 1

So, we arrived here at Ridgecrest a little after 11:00 this morning. Johnny was quickly whisked away to his important trustee duty (to play in the golf tournament) and I was left to enjoy the day in the mountains on my own. I caught up on my facebook peeps and the news (no tvs here in the Ridgecrest hotel -- but I usually read the news online anyway) then took my book and headed out to find a quite, outdoors place to read. The summer Johnny and I worked here we spent a LOT of our time in an auditorium called Lambdin. My classroom was in a building next to it. I found some swings right across the street. I couldn't start reading for the longest time...I just sat there and thought about all that happened in that very spot 21 year ago. My life was forever changed.

A few days ago I wrote that I am reading a book called Same Kind of Different as Me. I am still reading that book but, as usual, I am reading another book as well and that's the one I took out with me today. Today I was reading The Problem of Pain: How Human Suffering Raises Almost Intolerable Intellectual Problems by C.S. Lewis. The very fact that the word "intellectual" is in the subtitle might let you know that I have to read every sentence at least twice. It's an excellent book, however. Anyone out there read it? It's a little serious for such a beautiful day in the mountains but if I could simplify the first chapter into my own words it would be this - the reason there is pain is that there is free will. While God is omnipotent (all-powerful) He acts in accordance with the laws of nature. He does act mysteriously and miraculously but not always -- because just as we are given a choice, so is everyone else.

Ok, that really does not do justice to the book or the subject. Johnny's back, though, and we're going to get some dinner. I'll get some pics up next time!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: