Monday, April 2, 2007

Shocking

My daughter told me some shocking news today. It's not about her, but about the way things are in middle school. A student pastor my husband knows told him some things today about the culture of students so I asked my daughter about it. I like to think of myself as rather well-informed -- I have a myspace, for goodness sake -- but today I have to say I am shocked. There really is no other word to describe it.

How far is too far? "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) When Saul was king over Israel, he sinned and fell short of the glory of God. Samuel reported to Saul that God Himself rejected Saul as king over Israel because Saul rejected God as King over his life. (1 Samuel 15:26) When the Apostle Paul wrote out his theology to the Romans, he wrote that although man knew God, he did not honor Him or obey, but gave glory owed only to God to others. "Therefore God gave them over..." (Romans 1:24) He gave them over, He let them have what they wanted. Scary. Scary because it sounds like today.

I started to get up dejected...how could I? What is it that we celebrate this week? The Savior of the world road a donkey into Jerusalem to fulfill His mission on the earth. Hosanna, save now! the people cried. Save now! "For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16) He was crucified and died to save now. He rose again to victory over sin and death.

Victory...some days don't feel victorious. Some days it seems like the score is lopsided with the modern culture whooping the Christians. That makes our task all the more important and urgent.

In service to the King,

Jeanette

No comments: