Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Truth

I have a few wacky sayings...well, my family thinks they are wacky. One of them goes something like this: There's only black and white -- there isn't any gray. You really have to see me say it to get the full effect. It's what I say to my kids when I feel like they are not being completely honest with me. Because, in actuality, there's only truth and non-truth. There isn't any such thing as partial truth -- it's all a lie.

As the time drew near for Jesus to go to the cross, He wanted to assure and reassure His followers that everything was under control. The Gospel of John gives an account of the words of Jesus to His disciples concerning the things that were to come, including teaching on the Holy Spirit. Jesus was going away, but He would not go without sending the Holy Spirit to them. John 16:13, in part, reads this way, "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth..."

God will never, ever tell us to do something that is against His Word. His will and instruction will always line up with His written Word. Though penned by human hands, it is God-breathed and God-inspired. One professor used to say that the Bible has divine and human authors. The style of writing and content might reflect the human author, but the Book in its entirety is to reflect the Divine Author. Therefore, it is Truth. It is also the guide for my life. I am really thankful that it is. I had a moment of struggle this morning and I simply opened the pages of Scripture and found the answer -- in a matter of minutes, my question was answered and a situation was dealt with and I feel so much better!

How amazing that the God of the universe desires to speak to me! How amazing that when I ask, the Holy Spirit will guide me to truth -- I am in awe!

In humble service to the King Eternal,

Jeanette

No comments: