Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Acting Like It

The following was one of Ed Stetzer's tweets this morning - "When a disciple understands the gospel and lives in light of it he/she will naturally be on mission." It was a short little excerpt from his blog. (I would put a link right here but I'm on my new Mac and I'm not sure how to get to his blog on this computer. You can google him to find it.) When we truly know (that experiential know, not just head knowledge) what the mission of God is, it should make a difference in the way we live. The New Testament writer James penned it like this, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves," (James 1:22)

Being on mission does not necessarily mean you are going on a mission trip. I think that's part of it and I encourage people all the time to go on mission trips. They can be live changing. It was for me. Being on a mission trip and living with missionaries for a week taught me a lot about what it means to live on mission.

So, what does that mean to us to live on mission on a day-to-day basis? I think it starts by finding out the heart of God. How does God feel about the lost, the hurting, the sick, the poor and defenseless? We also have to become more sensitive to the needs around us. I don't know about you, but sometimes I live like I have blinders on. I am so focused on what is going on in my family, taking care of my responsibilities, etc., that I am truly unaware of potential needs all around me. Once we know the heart of God and we observe needs around us, then we must put our faith into action. We have to act like what we say we believe. If we are truly disciples, then it is our obligation to live in light of God's mission on earth and to make His mission our mission.

Serving the King,

Jeanette


No comments: