Thursday, August 25, 2011

Longing For The Day

Did you ever read the children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? That may not be the exact title but that's pretty close. It's a story about a little guy named Alexander who was just really having a bad day. All sorts of rotten stuff happens to the poor kid and he mentions wanting to escape to Australia. At the end of the book, he says something like, "Some days are like that, even in Australia." We must've read that story dozens of times when our kids were smaller. That last little bit became a catch-phrase around our house. Some days are just rotten, no matter who you are or where you live.

Today has been such a day. Johnny left before dawn to catch a plane to go see his dad who is still recovering from cancer surgery in Boston. It's been a very difficult recovery. When I got up, there was a dead bird in the pool. Thankfully, Jacob was still home and was able to get the bird out for me. Other than that, I'm having a decent day. Jacob helped me clean the kitchen tonight without being asked! But this morning I got a text from a friend who is struggling. Another friend is dealing with some serious issues with one of her kids. One is in the hospital, one just lost her sister, another is recovering from a serious illness and has had some setbacks. My heart is heavy over the sorrow, frustration, stress, weakness, and suffering all around me. 

Johnny gave me a new iPod for my birthday back in June for my car. (I know it seems like I'm changing gears but hang in with me for a minute.) I finally, today, sat down and put some music on it. (I KNOW, 2 1/2 months later - the summer was just like that.) I had an iTunes card so I decided to purchase some new music. Last night, at Rally, the band played a Hillsong United song that I've never heard titled You Hold Me Now. I decided to get it today along with Matt Redman's new album. Part of the lyrics of the song are this, "No weeping, no hurt or pain, no suffering, You hold me now, You hold me now. No darkness, no sick or lame, no hiding, You hold me now, You hold me now."

Do you ever just long for that day? That's where I am today. When John received the Revelation he recorded this,

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." Revelation 21:1-4, NASB

No longer any separation - from God or our loved ones that were believers that have gone on before us. No more sorrow or sickness or hunger or hurt... Only rejoicing forever dwelling in the presence of God.

In the meantime, I live in the reality that life just stinks sometimes - for me and those I love. The promise of what is ahead strengthens me on those tough days. After all, some days are just like that... even in Australia.

Serving the King,

Jeanette 

No comments: