Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Partnerships in the Gospel

I am sitting in my hotel room in Laredo, Texas, while the rest of our mission team is spread out to 6 locations over the city today. My younger son is down by the river, almost in Mexico, playing soccer while his dad is just up the road painting the exterior of a church. He hates that they are painting the edges of the roof, however, because the boards are rotten and the entire roof really needs to be replaced. Maybe that's a project for another day.

I am the hotel because I feel awful. Maybe it's a result of our misadventure trying to get home from Peru. We finally landed at DFW (Dallas Fort Worth International Airport) after a day and a half trying to get out of Peru. I was supposed to leave for Laredo Monday morning but Johnny got our tickets changed to the evening flight. We landed here in Laredo just 24 hours after landing at DFW the night before. The weather is in complete contrast to the weather we had last week - the truth is, it's stinkin' hot down here near the Rio Grand.

I've been reading and pondering the New Testament letter of Philippians over the last few weeks and started over at the beginning this morning:

I give thanks to my God for every remembrance of you, always praying with joy for all of you in my every prayer, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:3-6

I love that idea of partnerships. What a great responsibility we have as believers and followers of Christ to make the name of Jesus famous to the nations. I have been so privileged to see folks at work in different places around the world doing just that. I love how we join together - how God puts people together - for a common purpose and a common goal. All the way from organizations like World Vision or the IMB & NAMB to the 2 young women living and working in Peru independently. Paul's reminder to me is to be diligent in praying for people with whom I have partnered and to do all I can to support what they are doing for the glory of the Kingdom.

Which leaves me feeling lack a slacker for staying at the hotel this morning. I'll be back out there later today, though, at the block party. Then I'm headed back home tomorrow. Vacation is just days away - and, yes, I'll be flying again but am feeling ok about it! Oh, I forgot to mention that when I got to the airport Monday I was told the flight to Laredo was oversold & I didn't have a seat. Then, we were sitting on the airplane and the flight was delayed. It made me feel a little anxious after all we went through in Peru but we made here safely nonetheless. And, only 30 minutes late! I'll take that after a day & a half late any ol' time!

Serving the King,

Jeanette   

No comments: