Thursday, December 17, 2009

Book Review on Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity

Ok, I’ll admit it. I started reading the book, Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity, with a little bias. Just one word written on the book jacket led me to a preconceived negative notion about the book. But, WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group sent me the book for free and, in return, I was to write a review of the book. Wanting to keep my part of the deal, I began reading the book. Then I got to the part where the author, Mark Batterson, wrote about missions. I love missions. It’s one of my passions. So, I began to read with interest. By the time I got to the end of the book I was thoroughly convinced that I would recommend this book to anyone who would listen (or read, as the case may be). In fact, I would recommend this be the first book you read for 2010. At the time when you are making New Years’ resolutions and plans for the upcoming year, this book just might be the motivation God uses for you to follow that dream He has put in your heart.

Primal is a book about loving God because He first loved us. It’s a book about loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. It’s about loving God completely, with your entire being. Loving that involves compassion, wonder, curiosity, and energy. (7) Batterson breaks each of these four areas down in four separate sections of the book. As he explores each area, he includes personal experiences that are relatable to the reader. He cites cases from both history and modern-day where people pursued following God. Many of these were ordinary people that made the choice to follow where God led. People just like you and me.

There were times when the book convicted me. There were times when I disagreed with the author. Batterson even wrote that we will not always agree within the body of Christ. There are the non-negotiables of our faith, but outside of that there is room for disagreement. (105) But mostly there were times when I wrote “amen” or “I agree” in the margins of the book. They were words that I needed to read. Words I needed to challenge me to feel more, think more, imagine more, give more, and do more in my personal walk with God. I loved it that Batterson wrote over and over again about the idea that our faith should be lived out in action. The following line cracked me up, but also got a double amen: “Talk is cheap, and we have cheapened the gospel long enough.” (135)

I hope you'll check out this book. It gives great insight to the Great Commandment. While I hate to be selfish, you'll have to get your own copy. I'm hanging on to this one for future reference. For your own copy you can go here.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: