Saturday, September 12, 2009

Waiting

I'm waiting by the phone today. I'm having a hard time doing anything else at all. I talked to my dad just a bit ago. Not much has changed with my grandmother but he feels sure that these are the last hours of her life. All 5 of her children are gathered by her bedside. On the one hand I long to be there listening to their conversation, sharing in their sorrow. On the other it's a time meant for them, in that tiny room, around the bed of the one who gave life to each of them. Their ages span almost 2 decades -- the oldest was already in college when the youngest was born. There are 11 grandchildren. All are grown and married now. My own children are 3 of her great-grandchildren. There's over 20 in all. My kids call her Great Granny and great she is.

"For we know that if our earthly house, a tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. And, in fact, we groan in this one, longing to put on our house from heaven...Therefore, though we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord...yet we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord." (from 2 Corinthians 5)

My grandmother's little tent is just about gone. But soon (let it be soon) she will be perfectly clothed and finally at home.

Waiting in confidence,

Jeanette

1 comment:

Sue said...

Praying for you all today Jeanette! Sending big hugs from Canada.