Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day of Champions

Today I had my first experience with Bill Glass Ministries at the Day of Champions. It was the day to go into the juvenile detention facilities here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Here's how it works: there was a little training last night and today I went into my assigned facility. We met together then went into the gym where the "residents" were already seated in rows. There was a speaker and following that all the team-members shared the gospel with some of the residents. We had lunch then repeated the whole thing with a new group.

I left both heartbroken and burdened. Each time I talked to 2 girls, all 4 were between 14-16 years of age. I think 3 out of the 4 were not there for the first time; ie, repeat offenders. One of the 4 is pregnant and another of the 4 is already the mother of an 8 month old. All 4 have gone to church at some point in their lives and they have head knowledge of the plan of salvation. They even know right from wrong, but have chosen wrong. One girl sadly said she was glad she was there. If not, she said, she'd probably be dead. Man, that girl knew some Scripture. She quoted several verses, even though some were out of context. There was anger in her voice, however. Yeah, she had a lot of anger.

It's hard for me to imagine what these girls' lives are really like. Obviously, I have no idea, not any whatsoever. I got a little peek today.

Again, today, I am faced with the realization that I have a really great life. I have three really great kids. I have a fabulous husband and a lot of comforts. I have everything I need and a lot of what I want.

And I'm thankful. And humbled. Grateful. Convicted once again that to whom much is given much is required. Oh, that I may be faithful.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

2 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

We are off to Montgomery's inner city housing projects to minister next week. Our fourth year going there and it's just so sad. Many won't be there because they'll be in jail. Each year there's just a little more progress though. Keep going back..I have no doubt those girls will sense how much you love them!

Lisa

Sue said...

Wow... what an eye-opening day it seemed to be for you, Jeanette. Thanks for sharing your experience... it sure gave me food for thought too! ;-)