Tuesday, June 23, 2009

In Kentucky

It's the end of June and I've gotten on an airplane for the 4th time this calendar year to take a trip. This time I'm Louisville, Kentucky for the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention. Me, I'm a hardcore Southern Baptist -- always have been and suspect I always will be. More so, I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. There's a lot of talk this year about "The Great Commission Resurgance" and there was a vote today to initiate a taskforce on that subject. There's no doubt that somewhere along the way Southern Baptists, in general terms, have lost focus. We became dependent on our pastors, our churches, and our agencies to do the work of ministry. Even as parents, we depended on the church to teach our children spiritually. It is absolutely necessary, and the only way for us to walk in obedience, for each of us, as believers and followers of Jesus Christ, to live doing the Great Commission.

Jerry Rankin closed out the night by giving the IMB report. God is calling people to vocational missions but the funds are not there to add any additional people to the field. While money is absolutely necessary, adding more people doing short-term, voluntary missions will be one way that Christians can fill the need, can help in the field.

And, Johnny and I are having a great time in Kentucky. It's relaxing...I sent Johnny off early this morning to the convention and I slept late, went to the fitness center to worked out, and worked on my Bible study! yeah, it was nice!

Maybe I'll have an update on the convention tomorrow. I'm sure it will be exciting!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

2 comments:

Little Chef On The Prairie said...

I'd love to meet up with you. I am at sbc too. I'm marrying a seminary student next month.

Sue said...

Sounds like a very good and challenging time. Have a good time and enjoy your surroundings (sounds like you're doing just that!)