Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Hard Road

I like for life to be easy. I like the road to be smooth and I like to be comfortable. I don't want to be pushed or pulled or pressed. I like routine and order and sameness. I don't like to put gas in my car or to go to the grocery store. I want people to respond the way I envision they will and things to go just the way I have planned.

But, is it really ever like that? Really...ever? Is that even realistic?

On the other hand, I really like the view from the top of the mountain. "What?" I hear you asking. Here it is - I was thinking about this today. Last summer we took our family vacation to Colorado. It was our outdoor/sports vacation. We hiked, we biked, we went white water rafting. One day we rode the ski lift as high as it would go and then had to hike about another hour to get to the summit. The hike was not easy - not like mountain/rock climbing hard, but there were some places where it was pretty steep, there was ice and snow on the path that made it slippery, and the air was thin. But, the view from the top was worth the climb. To be able to look around and enjoy God's majestic creation was incredible. I'm glad I went.

Sometimes I am tempted to stay on the easy path or to whine when it's too hard. (no comments from you, Johnny Dickerson) I gotta press on, I know I do. Eventually, the road will even out. It always does. In the meantime, I'll try harder to enjoy the view.

2 Corinthians 4:7-18

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: