Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vacation Pics - Vernal Falls

 My kids on the Vernal Falls Footbridge
 Me and my man on the Vernal Falls Footbridge (don't you love the hat?)
 top of Vernal Falls
Looking down from the top of Vernal Falls - we were there just 2 weeks ago

I just read a news article on the FoxNews website about 3 people that went over the falls. They, apparently, climbed over the railing and out onto some slippery rocks and fell in, then went over. They are missing and presumed dead. I wrote about our hike to Vernal Falls in my post California Vacation. The force of the water made for a spectacular sight and it was so worth it to get to the top and see it. Really, it was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in nature. The Emerald Pool is at the top but we were warned by a park ranger not to get in the water. It's dangerous - particularly this year when they had record snowfall.

I feel sad for the friends and family of those missing. I feel sad for the people who witnessed the 3 going over. The article reported that it's a 317 foot drop and you can see in the above picture that I took from the top, camera pointing down, what's at the bottom. Of course, I'm super afraid of heights so I barely would even go close to the rail. I did have a photo taken by the rail but I feel one picture of me in that hat is enough for one blog post. (Since my last birthday I'm more aware than ever of my age and I'm trying to protect my older skin - I'm getting a lot of use out of that hat.)

I have more vacation pics posted on fb soooo if we're friends, hope on over to my profile and take a look! Yosemite is fabulous!

Jeanette

No comments: