Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Another One Turns 18

Today Jessica turns 18. We were having our family Christmas card photo taken the other day and Jessica wanted her picture taken with this leaf. Jessica likes the outdoors and the ability to enjoy God's creation. I think Jessica looks more like me (our little girl pics are so similar) but she has her dad's personality. Oh yeah, big time! Jessica is a born-leader and is a people-person. She is loyal and friendly and compassionate. She loves basketball - particularly women's basketball. Yes, I am a fan of Baylor women's basketball and Jessica is too but she's a bigger fan of UConn. She would really like a women's team to hold the record for most consecutive wins. She's fun and complementary and thoughtful. One of the biggest things I admire about Jessica, though, is her strong and determined faith. She thinks deep thoughts about spiritual things. She asks questions and wants to know what she believes and why. She is concerned about the lost and unreached people in the world.

Before too long Jessica will make her college decision. She will finish her senior year as captain of the basketball team and President of the Student Council. She will collect her awards, go on her senior trip, and graduate from high school. Most likely, she will work at camp again this summer. I'm not rushing it - believe me, I would love to slow.down.time. It could go at a turtle's pace and I would be happy. But, the reality is, that this precious girl will leave the nest and pursue what God has for her. I'm happy about that. Really, I am. I just can't imagine life without her here. She lights up our home.

So, happy 18th birthday, Jessica! May God pour out His richest blessings on you! You are an absolute joy in my life. I love you!

Jesssica's mom, Jeanette

No comments: