Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just a Threat of Ice

We don't even have any ice on our roadways yet here in the south part of the metroplex but the kids are out of school. My daughter called around 10:30 to say they wanted all the kids gone by noon. I have 8 high school kids over here but my jr. higher went home with a friend. Glory! Not that I don't love jr. highers, but the high school kids are a bit quieter. Not much, though. Especially when there's eight. I hoped to work on the material for our upcoming retreat (which, after I spent 4 hours in the library at the seminary yesterday, I think is coming along pretty well) but I'm a little distracted by all that's going on around here.

I'm fascinated by the biblical account of Elijah. The amazing defeat of the false prophets on Mt. Carmel immediately followed by his running and wallowing in self pity. From the mountain top to the pit of despair. Arthur Pink wrote, "Consistency of character and conduct is dependent upon a steady walking with God." How quickly circumstances and situations change...our readiness to handle what life gives is dependent on how we walk every single day. "Walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh,' the apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 5:16.

Sometimes that flesh desire is expressed in anger or rebellion or deceit (among others) but sometimes it is reflected in self-pity and doubt. Like Elijah...

God didn't leave him alone to keep wallowing, however. God cared for his physical needs by providing rest and food but then He met with Elijah on the mountaintop. "You're not the only one. You are strong enough. You can handle it. I'll help you." (interjecting my own imagination on the conversation)

He says the same thing to us -- "You can do it. If I've called you then I'll equip you. I will give you the strength you need to go on." I love it that the words written on the pages of Scripture, though intended for an original audience, are words written for modern believers as well. It's at my disposal to "hear" God speaking to me...to take the timeless message and integrate it into my life.

And, I'm thankful for that.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: