Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What I Know for Sure

I know for sure that it gets really hot in Texas in the summer. I've lived here most of my life. I know that roasted broccoli is really good because I've made it and tasted it. Hey, the kids even like it! I know the water in my pool is way too cold for swimming because I put my hand in it the other day. I know that eating too much dessert is not healthy or good for the waistline -- unfortunately. I know that my car won't run without gas and I can't get to class in under 20 minutes. I know for sure that Johnny loves me -- he tells me and shows me every single day. I know by experience. I was reading John 6 today. Toward the end of the chapter, John records that some of the disciples (not the "12" but some of the other people following Jesus) fell away. Wow, that happens today. People fall away... Jesus then asked "the twelve" if they would turn away as well. Peter answered -- he was always good at speaking up, it seems. He said, "Where would we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have believed and we know by what we have experienced that you are the Holy One of God!" (ok, that's my interpretation of his answer and not a direct quote from any translation) That word "know" indicates an experiencial knowledge, not something that was learnd secondhand. I can tell you that roasted broccoli is really good and you could even tell someone else that it's good, but until you experience it for yourself, you won't really know. That's how it is with really knowing God. You've got to experience it for yourself. The thing is, knowing Him makes me want to know Him more. Experiencing His power makes me want more. Knowing peace in uncertainty leaves me desperate for it. Where else could I go to find what I am desperately looking for -- I know for sure where the answers are. Knowing...what do you know for sure?

No comments: