Monday, November 7, 2011

Meditations on Running, entry #10

Run length - an embarrassing 2 1/4 miles. The only thing worse than running only 2 and one quarter miles today is that it beats the distance I ran all of last week.
Verse for the day - so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow... and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:10-11

The half-marathon is only 4 weeks from yesterday and I've pretty much taken the last 2 weeks off with the exception of our 8 mile run on Saturday before last. Yikes! I'm so pumped about our fundraising, though. We even have some people not associated with our church who are running with us & joining our cause! Since yesterday was World Orphan Day and we had (really, this is the coolest thing!) an adopted child dedication (It was kind of like a typical baby dedication that we might do at our church but it was for families whose kids that were not adopted as babies) we decided to designate all our iRun donations of the day for our adoption & foster care ministry. It was our 2nd biggest day so far.

I was reading an article today on anthropology from the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. (yes, I do enjoy reading the dictionary - last night in our missions class a man was giving a report about being in prison over the weekend with Bill Glass Champions for Life. He mentioned an inmate in the corner reading the dictionary and all I could think was, what's wrong with that?) Humans were created in the likeness and image of God for His own glory. Nothing we can do can earn or cause us to deserve redemption - it's all about accepting the free gift offered. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Redeemed men and women will, by the blood of Christ, give glory to His name and enjoy Him forever, thus fulfilling their original purpose."

So, when I run I enjoy creation because one of my favorite attributes or perfections of God is that of Creator. I enjoy creation because I am in awe of it and of Him. Even in Texas we are starting to have leaves turning fall colors. When I run I talk to God about the things that are weighing on my heart or the activities I have coming up or about my husband and kids and ministry. When I run I am thankful for health and the ability to buy snazzy new running shoes and the freedom to do so. When I run I worship. When I run I pray for those that have never heard the name of Jesus and the opportunity to share that Great Name with those that simply do not know.

I'm glad to be back running today. Tomorrow I plan to run 4. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Serving the King
  and running with purpose,

Jeanette




No comments: