Friday, November 18, 2011

Meditations on Running, entry #11

Run length - 2 miles
Song that got me home - O Praise Him, David Crowder Band

I set out this morning for a quick 2 mile run with my dog. My wacky dog and some of my frustrations on taking her out have been well documented on this blog in the past. Today sent me over the edge but more on that later. BTW, I planned a short run today because it is my plan to run 10 miles tomorrow. The race is little more than 2 weeks away.

I left my house this morning thinking I can't wait until the half-marathon is over. And, I was actually thinking that I am looking forward to running a 10k the last weekend in February. Over the last few months, as I've been training for the half, I have renewed my love of running is some ways. Anticipating the 13.1 miles has taken some of the fun out of it. There are some days I would just like to run 2 miles and not worry that I'm not getting enough miles in for the week. There are some days I would just like to walk my dog around the block but I know I must run. That leads me to thoughts like I can't wait for this to be over... 


I'm guilty of that in the rest of my life as well, at times. I'm looking to the future, trying to get past something so I can get on to the next. When I'm like that I'm missing the joy of today or what God wants to accomplish in me and through me in the present. James, the half-brother of our Savior, wrote that we are merely a vapor that is here for a little while and then gone. (James 4:14) Life is way to short and flies by at lightning speed too much to live waiting to get to tomorrow or some other day in the future.

As a side note, I want to inform you that I am writing this without the use of one of my thumbs. Back to the dog story - if you have read my posts about my dog before you know she can freak out a little by the slightest thing. It's super windy today and we turned around at the half-way point to head back - straight into a cold wind and uphill. She was running ahead and I - totally doing what the dog trainer told me - was going to pull back on the leash and have her sit so she could remember who's boss. (We have a little trouble with that on occasion) My fingers got caught up in the leash and I pulled my thumbnail back - I mean, it got bent back halfway down. Then I was running into a cold wind, uphill, with a misbehaving dog, with a thumb throbbing in pain and thinking only this thought - would I rather get blood on my shirt  or on my pants. It's an old shirt that I don't really like too much anymore but I did have on my favorite running pants. And, now I had to hold the leash in my right hand and that totally threw me off because I always run with the leash and the dog on my left.

Just another reason I am so thankful for the David Crowder Band and am going to cry hysterically after (or maybe during) "The Last Show" at Passion this year is the song that got me home today. It's been one of my favorite songs for years. I'm glad it came up on my iPod when it did. I like it on the music video when the music stops and all you hear is the guy on the street singing. You have to see the video. Look it up on youtube. I was going to link it for you but I'm in too much pain.

My thumb may be broken (not)...

O Praise Him, all this for the King!

Jeanette

No comments: