Monday, April 19, 2010

My One Thing

Johnny started a new sermon series yesterday he is calling "Radical."  He is going through the book of Acts and referring to how the 1st century believers lived radically.  They dared to do something to turn the world upside down.  Since yesterday was the first of the series he talked about overcoming obstacles in order to live radically.  Because, after all, we're busy, worn out from all we do and carry around with us.  We have personal needs that keep us from seeing needs of others.  We're stuck in place where we shut down spiritually because we don't want to do the hard work it takes to get to the other side. 

Johnny spent a portion of yesterday's sermon on James 1:2-4 -- "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have it perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."  (NASB)  Knowing from our own personal experience, from how we have seen God work in the lives of others in our community of believers, and from the Truth of His Word. 

We talked about spiritual markers in my life group yesterday.  We have spiritual markers when we see God at work in specific situations and those are valuable to remind us in our present circumstances that He still is and always will be at work in the lives of His followers.  That He deeply and desperately loves people and is concerned about the needs we have.  His desire is to bring our lives to a place where our heart beats with the longing to be like Him -- to love what He loves, to follow where He calls.  To live radically.

I want to be a radical.  I do.

At the end of the sermon, during the time that leads to commitment, Johnny asked our church to pray about that obstacle, that life situation that is preventing each of us from living radically.  I do have obstacles, I'm not denying that, but my prayer yesterday was for this one thing that I've been praying for lately.  Today is my 19th day to pray for it.  I may be wacky (never claimed not to be) and this may be a little crazy, but I'm asking God for my one thing.  And here's the deal.  I have those spiritual markers in my own life when God has answered far crazier prayers than this.  I've seen Him at work.  I believe He is able.  I don't doubt it for a millisecond. 

So, on the 19th day, I'm praying again for my one thing.  I'll let you know what happens.

Serving the King,

Jeanette 

No comments: