Thursday, February 14, 2008

Following the Plan, Part 2

Continuing on from the lesson on Joshua and Jericho last week to our upcoming lesson this week on Gideon. (We are taking gigantic leaps through the OT in our study now!!) God said the same thing to Gideon that He said to Joshua, "Go down against the camp (Midianites), for I have given it into your hands." (Judges 7:9) Done deal. However, God knew Gideon's heart. When God approached Gideon and called him to lead the people to defeat the Midianites Gideon responded by saying he was the least of the least and not qualified for the job. God called him a mighty warrior but Gideon hardly saw himself as such. (Judges 6:12-15) Gideon needed reassurance then and God knew he still needed reassurance. I love that about Him, His ability to know my need and meet it before I ever even ask. So when God told Gideon to go out against the camp He added, "But if you are afraid to go down go...to the camp and you will hear what they say; and afterward your hands will be strengthened that you may go down against the camp." (Judges 7:10-11, in part)

Blessed be the Lord, my rock,
Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle;
My lovingkindness and my fortress,
My stronghold and my deliverer;
My shield and He in whom I take refuge;
Who subdues my people under me.
Psalm 144:1-2

Serving my Stronghold and Deliverer,

Jeanette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is so cool that Gideon had to hear those conversations. i sometimes think i need that kind of foreshadowing in my walk

johnny d