Thursday, January 13, 2011

Change

Your life can change in a heartbeat, in a breath. Gunshots can ring out and change the world as you know it in an instant. You could hear the words, "You have cancer" or you could be instantly stricken with another illness or disease. You or someone you love could be involved in an accident.

How would we respond in the face of adversity or loss? Will we ever really know until that moment? Because I would like to think I would be strong and trusting but those who know me well know I am a little high strung. I would like to think I would rest in His enormous grace and comfort but, really, I don't know. Can I be honest? I hope I don't have to find out.

Some heavy things are going on this week. No, not in my life or in the life of my family. I am sorrowful for the events in Arizona and for tragedies in Australia. I grieve for those I know who are grieving. I am praying for those I know right now are counting on God for a miraculous recovery. I know for sure He is able. I know it. For sure.

But, then there's the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Agednego. They knew God was able to rescue but they said, "But even if He does not rescue us..." (Daniel 3:18, in part). Even if He chose not to rescue they would not worship a false god or put their trust in another.

Even if things don't turn out the way I want or expect, will I choose to worship God alone and put my trust completely on Him? I would like to think so.

So, here' the deal. Don't wait for that emergency call. We have got to be in shape spiritually so that when we need that spiritual strength, strength in the face of unforeseen change, we'll be ready.

How are you getting ready today?

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: