Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Girls

Yesterday was the big day for Jess to go back-to-school shopping. Not with me, of course, but she did need a ride. So, I drove to the mall, handed out the dough, and she and her friend headed out. I called once to see if I could meet up with them but she said no so I checked out the clearance racks at my favorite stores. I did make a couple of purchases but really was not in the mood for shopping AND I had blisters on my feet. (My friend and I walked/jogged for an hour and a half that morning and I had on old shoes.) When it was close to the meeting time I found a bench in front of Libby Lu's where I could listen to some tunes -- Hillary Duff, Hannah Montana, High School Musical. The store is for elementary age girls to go in and have their hair and make-up done and buy girlie girl accessories. I went by there once and they were having a style show. Jess never went there but, apparently, it's a birthday party kind of thing to do for young girls. I watched a girl and her mom in the store. (not in a weird, stalking kindof way but just a curious, people-watching kindof way) She was getting fixed up with what looked like a Hannah Montana wig. Not that I have anything against Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus -- in fact, I think she is a much better role model for girls that some of the other young women in the media. Here's the whole interesting thing: the girl and her mom were done and were walking out of the store. In the store you could tell the girl was having fun and was happy about her new look. No doubt, dress up is fun when you are in elementary school. About that time, however, two cute high school age girls were walking by. The Hannah Montana-wig girl put her hand on top of her head, self-consciously, and ducked behind her mom. I've been thinking about that. What does that actually mean about the way girls perceive themselves and the way they think they are perceived by other girls? What does that say about the critical nature of girls? BTW, the high school girls didn't even seem to notice the younger girl...it was just the younger girl's idea of what they would think -- maybe?

I guess the second issue is how important appearance is to girls and the culture's indoctrination for girls to place such an importance on the way they look. It's a struggle. And, girls can be mean, even vicious, to each other. Guys aren't generally like that. Girls can be so judgmental of each other. Is that already such a reality to an elementary-age girl that she would feel self-conscious coming out of a store with a long, blonde wig on? Interesting...

It is vital for us as moms to teach our daughters not to be influenced by every whim of culture but it's also so important to teach them to not be judgmental of other girls that are not like them. Especially as Christian young women, our daughters are to be lights in a dark world, a reflection of Jesus. I know He would never laugh at someone for what she wore to school one day...

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: