Sunday, August 17, 2008

Waiting for Wednesday

I'm sitting on the couch, watching the Olympics (the 10,000 meter race...it's a nail-biter!LOL), and making cookies -- the kind Justin ordered. Josh and his buddy, Justin, move into the dorm at DBU this coming Wednesday. Justin's parents cooked steak and other favorites for the guys last night. Tonight we'll have the cookies and, apparently, they want lemon chicken this week as well, which is one of my family's favorites. This week only they can have whatever they want.

We took Josh to IKEA over the weekend to pick up some dorm stuff. Jacob twisted his foot at football practice and has been on crutches. He decided he didn't want to hobble around IKEA so he asked for a wheelchair -- and they let him use one!! We wheeled him all around the store (which is ginormous). In fact, the wheelchair added to the experience because, otherwise, Jacob would not have been thrilled to be shopping (for one) and at IKEA (for another).

Josh already started his new job at DBU bookstore (thanks to our friend, JS!). It's so odd to think that the day we have anticipated is almost here. I want him to go (because that's what we've been preparing him for and have expected of him) but, yet, I don't want him to go. But, it's almost here. I've washed his new sheets, bought dorm stuff -- I bought him some stuff at Target this weekend, too -- he's registered, he's ready.

I was thinking about the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy. When Moses knew he would not be going into the Promised Land with his people, he wanted to make sure he told them everything they needed to know to go on without him. That's (simplistically) what the book of Deuteronomy is -- Moses's final addresses to the Hebrews. Have I said everything I need to have said to Josh? Have I adequately prepared Josh to go on without us? Will I have time in the next two and a half days to say everything that is left to be said?

I guess we'll see over the next couple of days.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: