Friday, May 2, 2008

The Countdown - 7 days

I'm fasting. Not from food because I seriously need it during this time of stress. (ok, I'm giggling about that) I've given up something else instead. Here's a definition of fasting: "Fasting is an intentional self-denial for the purpose of gaining spiritual insight or becoming spiritually stronger." (DiscipleShape by Dan Crawford, 139) We generally think of fasting as going without food because that is what fasting was in Scripture. According to Crawford a fast can be abstinence from just about anything. It's the purpose and the focus of the fast that's important. Who among us could not use a little more spiritual strength? I'm the one with my hand up.

I have a specific purpose for my fast. It's a matter I'm talking to God about concerning another person. I'm intensely aware that I am not in control of outcomes and situations. I wanna be. I am also aware that my petition may seem trivial in the grand scheme of things. People are starving, Christians are being persecuted, lost souls are not hearing the Good News. Yet, I stand and ask because I want what I want. I bow my knees because I want to be in a position so He knows I am serious. I put my face to the floor in total humility so my posture reflects that I am completely without hope without Him.

I love the story of Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego. I just read it again recently for my OT class. When they refused to bow down and worship the golden image they were arrested. The consequence for not bowing was to be thrown into the fiery furnace. When asked why they did not bow down when they knew the consequence they said,

"If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up." (Daniel 3:17-18, NASB)
They knew that God was able. They didn't doubt that. But even if He did not rescue them their faith would not be changed. Sometimes rescue is not in His plan.
At the end of today my fast will be over and I will know the outcome. Whether it turns out the way I want it to or not, it will not change what I know to be true about God. I hope I am stronger either way.
Serving the King,
Jeanette

2 comments:

Amy Guerino said...

I'm coming to visit from The Preacher's Wife blog roll. I'm touched by your fasting and am lifting you to the Father today from a fellow pastor's wife.

Anonymous said...

Just said a prayer for you! I hope everything is ok.
We love yall!!!