Monday, April 14, 2008

A Tribute to Jot

Who even cares about the stinkin' countdown -- my dog is dead. I left for our women's retreat on Friday and I knew he wasn't feeling good, but I just though it was something he ate and I left him out in the backyard. It was something he ate but it was much more serious than I thought...

I'm gonna miss my dog, Jot. I will miss his lopsided ears -- one ear up and one ear down. I will miss stepping over his big body lying in my way while I am trying to cook dinner. I will miss the way he followed me around the house and always was near me no matter what I was doing. I will miss the way he laid at the top of the stairs once the kids got home so he could see what was going on both upstairs and downstairs. I will miss the way he and I both knew when Jacob was home everyday because we heard the squeaky brakes of the bus. He always ran to the front door so when I opened it he could go out and greet Jacob. I will miss the way he always ran to the backdoor when I said, "Jot, time to go to bed." He ALWAYS went outside, then back inside to the laundry room where he slept every night. Just in the last couple of weeks he was reluctant to go in. And, he would NOT go in if the dryer was on. I will miss taking him to the park or Joe Pool lake. He loved to be off his leash so he could run, explore, and sniff around. When he needed to get back on his leash he would always come back to me when I called. Will I ever even want to go to the park again without him? I will miss the fun of throwing his toy upstairs and how he bounded up to find it and then he hurried back down so we could play some more...

Who will keep me company when everyone else is gone to school or work? Who will bark when someone is at the door and intimidate them with his fierce sounding bark though he wouldn't hurt a flea? He hated to have his collar off and he would never run away. He knew who loved him and he loved back -- I know he did.

Dang it, I'm gonna miss that dog...

In mourning,

Jeanette

No comments: