Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Meditations on Running, entry #3

Run length - 2 miles
Song that got me home - The Word of God Has Spoken, Travis Cottrell
Verse of the morning - I bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1

The added bonus (besides, of course, Beth Moore) of the simulcast this past weekend was the worship led by Travis Cottrell. Amazing. He sang the above song. It was the first time I ever heard it. I went right out to the book table and purchased a copy of his new cd and put it on my iPod Saturday evening. I love the message of the song so much. The lesson in our Life Group this past Sunday was about spiritual growth. I told my ladies that there is no spiritual growth outside of Bible study. The Bible is inspired (2 Timothy 3:16) which literally means "breathed out by God." Just like He breathed the literal breath of life into Adam at his formation (Genesis 2:7), God's Word breathes life into us spiritually. The Holy Scriptures are the breath of life.

The chorus of the song has this line, "we are running to salvation." For me, it's always good to have the word run or running in any song while while my feet are hitting the pavement. Particularly today. My dog freaked out on me a little bit. She's usually good for 2 miles, though not one step further. I was on my regular 2 mile route in my neighborhood when a bicycle came up behind us. I was thankful to my dog, Jadee, for letting me know he was coming because I may have had the music up too loud. It was great because I was able to get off the sidewalk & out of the biker's way. It was bad because after he passed Jadee decided it was time to go home. She pulled in the opposite direction and would not go further. I took the long way home, though, so I still got my 2 miles in.

Just like it is taking me quite a bit of effort to train for this half-marthon, it takes effort on my part to grow spiritually. Salvation is offered freely but growth happens when I open God's written Word and pour into it and let it pour into me. Having the discipline to get out there and run even when I'm not feeling like it is absolutely necessary for my training. Maybe there are days when I don't want to take the time to run... or, to read my Bible. The only way I'm moving forward is to just do it.

The Word of God has spoken to me this morning. Has it spoken to you?

Serving the King
  and running with purpose,

Jeanette

No comments: