Saturday, July 26, 2008

Waiting for Dinner

I'm back in my room after at 7:15 Saturday evening because the two eighteen year olds are cooking dinner tonight. I walked in there a few minutes ago because I smelled something burning. It was the rice -- it's ok, though. We'll just dip it out carefully so as to not get the burned part on the bottom...

Today Johnny and I worked out in the yard. Jessica and Jacob had been out for a while and I brought out a big bowl of snack mix that I made -- you know, I just went into the pantry and pulled out cereal, cheese crackers, pretzels, and M&Ms and dumped it all together -- but they decided to walk to the new coffee shop up the street and left the bowl out there. I think they ate most of it -- I'm not sure. Regardless, Johnny and I were in the pool -- cooling off from working in the yard in the middle of the afternoon.in July.in Texas -- and I looked over and the dog was up on all fours on the table top with his nose down in the bowl of snack mix. Wish I had a picture of that to share with you... I guess he was hungry from all the swimming he's been doing. We weren't sure he was going to like the water but now he has become quite the swimmer!

I'm trying to think about something else except dinner so I'm thinking about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. You know, the story from Daniel chapter 3. I was in a musical when I was in elementary school called "It's Cool in the Furnace" at our church. It was based on the story of three forementioned guys and I can still sing the main song. I was in the musical in the 1970's and I can remember the words. The amazing thing about that is that I may not remember where I parked my car when I go into the grocery store or the name of someone that I've known for three years that I need to introduce you to, but I've got the words to a song that I sang in the 1970's. Something is completely wrong with that...

Anyway, our Life Group lesson tomorrow is from Daniel 3. The theme of the lesson is compromise. What will you absolutely, no way, not compromise on? Some things come to mind quickly but the hard question is the one that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego faced -- if your life is at stake, will you still stand firm? It's easy to say, "yes, I will absolutely stand firm," when I am sitting at my antique writing table waiting for 2 teenagers to cook dinner.in Texas.in July.inside the house with the air conditioning on and no one threatening me.

However, I did give in to temptation and ate a few chips a little bit ago after I told myself I needed to take off the few pounds I gained on vacation so I'm not going to eat junk food...I'm really hungry...I hope supper is good...

Gotta go - Josh said it's time --

Jeanette

No comments: