Friday, April 23, 2010

Blogging for Books - a novel this time

Whew, it's been a while since I've been blogging for books.  This time the publisher, Multnomah, sent me The Bridegrooms by Allison Pittman.  It's a novel about 4 sisters set in the late 1800's.  The sisters are raised by a single father, who is a doctor.  Don't worry, I didn't need to give a spoiler alert because you get this information in the first few paragraphs of the book.  After you find out the situaiton with the mother, the book quickly shoots ahead 17 years to a time when the sisters are young women.  It's a story about their lives and love and relationship.  Oh, and flirting and discovery and some confusion and hurt. 

Throughout the book, the women talk about their belief in and relationship to God.  As a believer and follower of God, I find myself drawn to Christian fiction.  I love a good story.  And, even though these fictional characters lived in a different time and generation, they faced some of the same challenges and relational struggles that we face even today.  They wanted happiness and love, just like women of the 21st century. 

I really like to read nonfiction but every once in a while I like to read something mindless and just plain entertaining.  So, if you're looking for a light-hearted story that will, at times, keep you guessing then I will suggest The Bridegrooms.  You will become involved in the lives of the sisters and maybe even develop a hope for how you want the story to end.  Without giving one thing away, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

1 comment:

Alyssia said...

I love Christian fiction. I used to manage a Family Christian Store and couldn't get enough of all of the books. If you like historical novels, try the A.D. Chronicles and Zion Chronicles by Bodie and Brock Thoene. Good stuff!