Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

And the happ, happiest season of all. I was sitting on a bench at the mall yesterday thinking about what a wonderful day it was. Although the corridors were crowded and the stores jam-packed, I was happy to be there. It's our tradition, at the Dickerson house, to wait until everyone is out of school to take our annual all-five-of-us-going-together trip to the mall to do our last-minute Christmas shopping. That's when the kids buy for their cousins and even for each other. It's so much easier now (than when they were little) that they can split up from us or each other, depending on what they are shopping for. A quick call on the cell phone brings us back together. Johnny and I even got a few things done while they kids were off in a different store.

At one point during the day Jacob and I were shopping together but found Johnny sitting on the bench outside Barnes & Noble. Josh was in the store so Jacob went off to find him and I sat down. Jess was hanging out with a couple of friends from school until our predetermined meeting time. Johnny and I were just enjoying people-watching and resting until Jacob came out of B&N and told his dad he wanted to show him something in the store. That's when I noticed it. Something amazing happened since last Christmas. Jacob is as tall as his dad. I remember those days when Josh, the firstborn, grew taller than me and I thought it so odd to be reaching UP to hug that boy that I gave birth to. Then he passed his dad. Now the youngest is there as well.

Our holiday shopping tradition includes a movie and dinner. Yesterday we saw "Old Dogs." It is a pretty funny movie if you like slapstick but sitting between Johnny and Josh, who were laughing hysterically, made it all the more funny. I mean, big, belly laughs that seemed uncontrollable. It was contagious, that's for sure.

Yesterday was one of my favorite days of the holiday season. Tomorrow is one of the most favorite days of the whole year. I love tradition and family time and remembering the true meaning of why we celebrate Christmas. I am anticipating a great Christmas!

So have yourself a very, Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: