Monday, October 3, 2011

Meditations on Running, entry #8

Run length - 3 miles
Verse of the morning - You see that faith was active together with his works, and by works, faith is perfected. James 2:22


I read an article on the internet this morning that started with this line: you can't do everything but you can do something. It was on a mission website. I'm just one person. What can I do?

I laced up my awesome running shoes this morning wondering if I should go out for a run. Johnny says I can't afford to take time off for an injury. He's right. Race day is 2 months and 1 day from today. I have a sore leg and can't quite figure out if I should just run through the soreness or decrease my runs until it's better. I won't stop, though. Here's why - in the first day of offering the iLive shirts for a donation to our iRun mission causes, we already raised over the amount it costs to dig a well in India. That was our first goal and we did it in the first day! (Thank you, my FBCM people, for your amazing generosity!) Everything else we raise will go to our other causes.

It's estimated that 6,000 children die in India everyday from issues related to unsafe drinking water. I can't provide clean water for everyone in India. However, in some remote village somewhere in India our partner organization, AIM, will dig a well and provide water for the thirsty. I run for clean water in India.

The drought in the Horn of Africa is causes food prices to soar and has weakened the livestock. As a result, there is increased malnutrition, hunger and famine. Millions and millions of people are at risk. I can't feed everyone who is starving in the Horn of Africa but I can feed some. I run for the food crisis in the Horn of Africa.

Almost 2 years after the devastating earthquake in Haiti, it is estimated that there are over 600,000 people still living in displacement camps. Now, there is a serious outbreak of cholera. I can't build a home for every person living in a tent in Haiti, but I can help someone. I run for the Haiti Rebuild Project.

And, finally, I read recently that there are 143 million fatherless and orphaned children in the world. They need a home and a family and love and security. I run so some little boy or some little girl can know what home is and what it means to say mommmy and daddy.

I'm just one person. I've joined a group of runners. Together, we are trying to make a difference. We are lacing up our running shoes and we are getting out there, putting one foot in front of the other to make a difference. That's what we're doing. How about you?

Serving the King
  and running with purpose,

Jeanette


No comments: