Monday, May 10, 2010

Radical, the book - My Review



This was my latest Blogging for Books read.  I would've read it whether WaterBrook Multnomah sent it to me or not.  I'm glad I read it.  It was an easy read and the author captured my heart.  The buzz word in some evangelical circles seems to be missional.  I don't think David Platt used that word even one time in his book.  Instead, he wrote that we are called to follow Jesus.   Not to just live out a comfortable, Americanized version of obedience, but a radical abandonment to Jesus.   Check out this quote from page 7, "We were settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves." 

Platt included several stories about his travels overseas to places where it is not safe to worship publically or to share the Gospel.  I've seen some of those places as well.  I could relate to his stories.  My heart ached when Platt wrote about the millions who have not heard the Gospel message, the billions who live in poverty, and the tens of thousands that are starving literally to death every single day.  I live a comfortable life.  I worship freely in a great church.  I don't worry about my next meal except to wonder what I will cook in my well-stocked kitchen and who will help me clean up the dishes when we're done eating.  But, my heart yearns to do more. 

Platt wrote a section of his book about those that don't feel gifted or called to share the Gospel.  Some want to hear about God's love but not the command He gave to go and tell and carry on Christ's mission on the earth.  I about fell out of my chair when Platt dissed another well-known preacher who, well, preaches fluff.  He didn't mention him by name but I know and Platt is right.  I like this quote from page 71, "God creates, blesses, and saves each of us for a radically global purpose."  Platt wrote that we want the privileges without taking on the obligations.  It's not so we can have more stuff and store up treasures on earth but so that we will use our resources to point others to God.  It's for His glory and not our own.

I could really go on for paragraphs about the book.  But, I want you to read it for yourself.  The book ends with a challenge.  A one-year challenge.  Johnny and I led a group of people from our church through a 20-week study of the book of Matthew this past school year.  At the end, we talked about how 20-weeks is a long time and how few people are willing to commit to 20 weeks of anything.  I wonder how many will commit to a one-year challenge.  It's definitely a worthy pursuit. 

So, check out the book and let me know what you think.  Will you commit to be a part of the Radical Experiment?  If so, I am so interested in keeping up with you and your progress and how God is using the experiment in your life.  While you are reading this you have not idea what I'm referring to so read the book and get back to me.  I'll be waiting.

Serving the King and wanting to be Radical,

Jeanette

No comments: