Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Morsel

A funny thing happened to me yesterday. I got sleepily out of bed and walked over to my little, antique writing table that I have in the corner of my room. That's where I like to meet with God. As I was walking I was praying, "Lord, would you just give me a little morsel this morning." I literally sat down and flopped open my Bible. I started reading the page on the right but then my eyes went to the left page where I read Proverbs 17:1 (ok, I really just opened my Bible and randomly came to this text!) -- "Better is a dry morsel and quietness with it than a house full of feasting with strife." I ASKED FOR A MORSEL AND I GOT IT. Sometimes I think God has quite a sense of humor.

So, today, I couldn't get that out of my mind. I have been working in my home office all day and am feeling a little discouraged about a project I have been working on for a while. I have 2 sets of commentaries on my bookshelf so I got the Proverbs commentary down from one set and tried to open it up to Proverbs 17. Do you know that particular commentary does not contain Proverbs 17? First of all, I will be returning the book for a replacement but, secondly, HOW CAN THE CHAPTER I AM LOOKING FOR BE MISSING? So, I got the Proverbs commentary down from the other set. THE PAGE CONTAINING PROVERBS 17:1 IS DOUBLE PRINTED!! And, unreadable. Friends & readers, I am not making this up.

I want to be still and quiet and hear a word from God. Check out this verse from Psalm 84:

"For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God, than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (verse 10)

Even a crumb from the table of the Lord is better than a bountiful feast coming from anywhere else. His Word is life to me. He is able to speak directly to me (if I'm listening) and I don't necessarily need commentators or teachers or other resources. (though those are all good and God uses those in my life as well!) So, give me the morsel and the crumb...

...however, tomorrow I'm asking for meat.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

1 comment:

Micca said...

Hi Jeanette!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've enjoyed visiting yours.

Isn't it strange how God gives us what we ask for one time, and then, another time He gives us what we need--or the unexpected! One thing is for sure. It's never a dull moment walking with God!

Be sure and let me know how your speaking trip goes!

May God continue to bless you, your family, and your ministry!