Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Following the Plan

I'm hanging at the house today. I've been a bit under the weather this week and do not feel like doing much of anything. Alas, I've tons of reading to do for school so it won't be a boring day!!

Last week as I was studying the 6th chapter of the book of Joshua for preparation for my Life Group and God spoke to me in a personal way that had nothing to do with the focus of the lesson for the ladies in my class. I love it that God's Word is living and active (Heb. 4:12) and that He uses it to speak to me. I love it that I get way more out of my study each week than I could possibly teach -- the lesson I teach and the lesson for me. Anyway, back to Joshua 6. God gave Joshua the battle plan for Jericho. It involved walking silently for 6 days, blowing trumpets, and shouting. Before God gave one word about the method for capturing the city, however, He told Joshua that He had already given Jericho to them. It was a done deal before Joshua, the priests, and the armed men took one step. Of course, the people did have to go in obedience. When they followed through, all it took was walking and shouting and the walls fell down.

God is consistent throughout all time. He is the Ancient of Days, the Eternal One. No doubt He uses mysterious ways to accomplish His purposes. Maybe you could fill in the blanks of the below statements with your own assignments (I know I could!!) --

See, I have already given _______________ into your hand. And you shall ___________ .

Blank #1 is what God has promised. Blank #2 is how you should go in obedience. (check out Josh. 6:2-5) Here's a really cool part of the story -- as the Israelites walked around the walls of Jericho, they took the ark of the covenant with them. It was a physical reminder to the people of God's presence with them. Also, I read in a commentary that the trumpets that were used were also the trumpets used at times of festival to remind the people of God's presence. So, they walked without talking around the walls. The sound they heard was their footsteps and the trumpets. Their eyes saw the ark and their ears heard the trumpets -- reminders of God's going with them. As long as Israel kept moving in obedience, following God's plan, He removed the obstacles before them. It's when they lost their focus that things became more difficult.

I'm voting for God's plan!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: