Sunday, April 15, 2007

Commitment Day


Today was Commitment Day at FBC Mansfield. That just means that we all, as church members, are committing ourselves to be a part of what God is doing at our church, specifically in the area of our capital funds campaign. Johnny preached an awesome commitment day sermon from 1 Chronicles 29. I personally feel kind of like David from the text. He said, "But who am I and who are my people that we should be able to offer as generously as this? For all things come from You, and from Your hand we have given You." (verse 14) God is the owner of everything, yet He allows me to have things that I can offer back to Him. Wow! Granted, David was a very wealthy man. Still, he gave extravagantly to the building of the Old Testament temple. Whatever I have is from God's hand...who am I that I should have anything to give back to God? I've been to places around the world where people live in poverty. I know there are people here in my own community that live with very meager means, kids that will go to bed hungry tonight... God has blessed me so much.

Who am I to be chosen by God to be a part of what He is doing at FBC? I am humbled by the privilege. In the first verse of 1 Chronicles 29, King David is recorded as saying that the task of building the temple was great-- it wasn't for man, afterall, but for God. I love the illustration of the Grand Canyon. Pictures cannot fully capture the grandure of the Grand Canyon. One picture cannot show the magnitude of the canyon or the canyon in its entirety...the picture above is one little glimpse of one of the most awesome sights I have ever seen. Our work, our project, here is great but it's only a minute speck of what God is doing in and around the world. Yet, He allows me to be blessed by my feeble attempts to obediently do what He's called me to do.
I want to be up to the task -- I want to be faithful to do that part that God has set aside for me to do. His work is not dependent on me, but I am dependent on Him. He is the King and I am the humble servant. All glory and praise to Him alone.
In service to the King,
Jeanette

No comments: