Thursday, March 8, 2007

My One Ambition

I've been thinking about 1 Corinthians 5:9 for a couple of days: "Therefore also we have as our ambition...to be pleasing to Him." By worldly standards, I don't have much ambition. I haven't worked (I mean, at a full-time, paying job -- I have worked, though!) in 17 years and I don't desire fame, wealth, or recognition. I really have all I need and the thing I am looking forward to the most is taking my travel trailer and goin' campin'! My greatest desire, my one ambition, is to please Him. I haven't always been able to say that and it may not be true everyday of my life, if I were to be completely honest. I've been amazed at how some things recently have worked out ... I know for sure God is in them. I still have some big questions and some uncertainties, but an accompanying peace that it will all be alright. The peace comes, it seems, when my ambition is to please Him. Repeatedly, in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), Jesus said, "Blessed are they that..." That word blessed means "fully satisfied." Fully satisfied are they that mourn, are meek, that hunger and thirst for righteousness... That's ambition -- to be fully satisfied. That's why the world seeks to fill their lives with things: unhealthy relationships, wealth and material possessions, drugs, partying -- they are looking to be satisfied, to fill some void they have in their lives. My one ambition is to please Him and in Him I am fully satisfied.

Blessings,

Jeanette

No comments: