Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What I Really Do Love

My Jessica brought up something over the Christmas holiday that keeps coming back into my head. I catch my self messing up but I'm trying to do better. It's all about the overly used word love. It seems Jessica has a friend at college who recognized the word was overly used and has been trying to say instead, "enjoy." Like this - instead of, "I love Blue Bell ice cream" (which, I would have a hard time saying I didn't cause I think I might) I could say, "I enjoy Blue Bell ice cream." Or, "I enjoy beautiful Spring-like days in January when it was icy & cold this time last year."

Here's my question: does it de-value the things we really do love if we say we love something wonderfully awesome like Blue Bell ice cream or beautiful Spring-like days in January? Or, if we say we love a movie or a great book we just read (like the Hunger Games trilogy) or a new piece of furniture? And, a second question: why do we love so many things that are worldly and fleeting and, ultimately, unimportant?

Here's what I really love, I mean REALLY love: God, His written Word, Johnny Dickerson, the 3 kids that I gave birth to, my parents, Johnny's parents, my church (not the building, the people, the family), my brothers & their wives & kids, my sister-in-law & her husband & her daughters & their families, my friends. I think the list could go on a bit. I's not an exhaustive list by any means. I love the ladies I meet with for Bible study. I can't figure out, though, if my dog should be on the love list. I mean, I really am fond of her but I think it might be love. And, she's definitely higher on the list than Blue Bell ice cream.

Jesus warned us about loving earthly treasure. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21) The greatest treasure we have, after all, is the one we carry around in our earthen vessel - it's the gospel of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:7) And, I do love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love what it's done in my life and how I don't have to depend on myself.

That's what I really love. Now, what I am borderline hating today is cleaning my youngest child's room. Not just cleaning, but taking every single thing out of there because I am having some furniture delivered tomorrow.  It's an awful job, I'm not going to lie. I'm going to enjoy the results, though, that's for sure!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: