Thursday, August 4, 2011

iRun with Purpose

I've mentioned on here a time or two that Johnny and I are training for a half marathon. The race is the Dallas White Rock - they have a relay, 1/2 marathon, and marathon. Run the Rock is the first weekend in December so we are training now. Because of the extreme heat (the weather man's title, not mine) we are experiencing Johnny and I start our runs before 7:00 am. That's the only way we could stand it. Our run today was 4 miles - and that's NOT our long run. I know, I know, for real runners that's no big deal but for us to run 4 miles and feel good is quite an accomplishment. Our times are coming down and we are definitely building our endurance on these hot, Texas, summer days.

At our church we have some real runners. They will be finished with the marathon before I finish the half, I have no doubt. We thought it would be fun to form a run team and to do some fundraising for some mission causes. We are looking at some causes like digging water wells, feeding hungry people, helping with medical needs, etc. We are going to finalize our causes in the next few days. So, this year, we are running with purpose.

I read an article yesterday about the food crisis in the Horn of Africa. I also recently read an article about a woman in an African country that literally spends hours every single day - 7 days a week, every single week - walking back and forth fetching water for her family. There are thousands like her. I am trying really hard not to complain about these record-setting hot days when I have air conditioning, plenty to eat, and ice & water to drink available to me within just a few steps from where I sit right now.

Will running in a half marathon make a difference in anyone's life? I don't know. I hope so. I hope it will inspire me and remind me to make the cause of world hunger & disease & the need for clean drinking water known to those in my sphere on influence. I hope it will remind me that I am abundantly blessed. I hope the things that are important to God will be the things that are important to me. I hope to make Him famous and to remember that I do it all for His glory and not mine. (That shouldn't be too hard because there's no glory at the back of the race.) But, if I'm out there putting one foot in front of the other, I hope to do it with purpose.

I hope you are having a great summer - it's winding down with back-to-school almost here! Live your dream, pursue God, love your family!

Serving the King,

Jeanette



No comments: