Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here I Raise My Ebenezer

I took this picture at Yosemite National Park last week. It was the second uphill hike of the day and I was not sure if I would make it. Plus, I am really scared of heights and it was a steep walk up the side of a huge rock mountain. The view was magnificent and so totally worth it. In the distance were snow-covered mountains and waterfalls. God's creation reminds me that He is glorious and the ultimate Creator.

I saw this pile of rocks and had to take a picture. I immediately thought of that old hymn, Come Thy Fount of Every Blessing, and the verse that contains the phrase in my title. The story is from 1 Samuel 7:10-12. Basically, the Israelites were in a battle with the Philistines and God caused a storm that allowed the Israelites to defeat the Philistines. Then Samuel, the prophet and leader, set up a stone, a stone of remembrance, and named it Ebenezer and said, "Thus far the Lord has helped us."

I don't know why I am repeatedly surprised by God. He is amazing and He does amazing stuff. That's who He is. But, still, sometimes He blows me away. Like today. I'm working on a new project for our i68 missions ministry and have received so much positive feedback and offers to help that I have felt truly blessed and affirmed with the direction we're headed. Then today a friend called to tell me about something God has put on her heart. She didn't know about the new project because (1) I've been away for the last 3 weeks and (2) I'm just now really spreading the word & telling others about what's going on - besides our missions committee, which I told them at their last meeting. Anyway, it seems as though God was telling my friend on His own before I could. Because He's like that and He does what He wants. Incredible.

How do I forget at times, thus far the Lord has helped me? I need to put my own rock pile somewhere around here, I guess. He is faithful. And I am blown away.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: