Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How do YOU define success?

Last Sunday my Life Group (Sunday School) class lesson was from the 1st chapter of the Old Testament book of Joshua. In that chapter, God was speaking to Joshua as he took over leadership of the Hebrew people after the death of Moses. In verse 7, God encouraged the people through Joshua to be careful to do everything God said and to follow His law so that they would have success wherever they went. I made the point to my ladies that God does not define success the same way our culture does or maybe even the same way we might.

To my youngest son, success might be defined as passing the driving test. Yes, my youngest is now a licensed driver and I am out of the momma taxi business. Maybe that is a sign of success, I don't know. To my middle child, success might be finishing her senior year strong and going to the college of her choice in just a few short months. We will be packing her up and moving her to Oklahoma Baptist University in the thriving metropolis (I typed sarcastically) of Shawnee, Oklahoma, just 3 1/2 months. For my oldest, success might be sticking with a major for a solid year in college and even planning to keep the same one into next school year. Only, he's added a master's degree program but we are still trying to get him out before #3 starts college. Now, that would be success!!

How do you define success? Is it related to your career or your family, personal ambition, material possessions?

How do you think God defines success? Ahhh, now that's a good question! Then this one - where does your definition of success intersect with God's?

These are just thoughts I am pondering today. It's so beautiful outside maybe I'll just take my thoughts out there. All I know is this, if I had created this day - one of the most perfect weather days ever - I would count that a success!

Serving the King,

Jeanette

No comments: