Monday, June 29, 2009

POTW - Psalm 107

POTW - Psalm of the Week, if you're not familiar with my blog. Here's the verse that caught my eye: "For He has satisfied the thirsty and filled the hungry with good things." Ok, ok, that's totally not spiritual because I'm on day 4 of the diet. Last night, after church, we were going to eat with some friends. They wanted to go to a SANDWICH SHOP. I should've cried out in protest but quietly went along. Hello, what do you generally put meat & cheese on to actually make it a sandwich -- carbs!! Oh, I mean bread. There wasn't even a salad on the menu but they will actually wrap your sandwich insides in large pieces of lettuce at this particular shop. They even have eating instructions on the wall for the lettuce wrap. It really was good and I made it one more day.

Here's what I really like about this psalm - it reminds me of God's faithfulness even when I am unfaithful. Yesterday in church we sang the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." I can so relate to the verse that states, "Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to Thee. Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love." My heart, if I'm not terribly careful, can pull me in the direction of busyness, wanting comfort & easiness over discipline and servanthood, and just that plain ole carnal selfishness.

In Psalm 107 they wandered. They were hungry and thirsty. We can get hungry and thirsty spiritually when we're in that place of disconnectedness with God. But, verse 6 is the key: They cried out to Him in their distress. If we are believers and followers of Jesus Christ, what an awesome promise that even if we are wandering, if we cry out to Him out of our misery He will hear. Give thanks, the psalmist wrote, because He is good and He is faithful forever.

He satisfies the hungry and thirsty. He rescues from the pit. And, I love this, "He guided them to the harbor they longed for." (verse 30, in part)

What are you longing for? The harbor was the safe place for those in rough waters in the psalm. I want the safe place but even more than that I want to step out of my comfort zone and beyond my own abilities to be on mission for God. I want to be blessed. I want to be found faithful. It's a daily obligation that requires my willingness to surrender.

So my lips repeat the last line from the above mentioned hymn: "Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above." That I might be useful today for the glory of His great name.

Serving the King,

Jeanette

1 comment:

Sue said...

We sang that same hymn in church on Sunday and those words stuck out to me too, Jeanette. I feel very "wandering" these days and I have been crying out to Jesus to rescue me from the insanity and chaos I'm feeling in my life right now. I can relate to those who were "fools, rebelling and suffering for their sins" but praise to God that He rescues me and heals me from my own waywardness.

Right now I'm longing for sanity. I'm so completely unused to caring for small children and am quite used to the peace/quiet (and sometimes selfishness) of my life without kids. Having a 2 yr old in my house for a week and all the ups and downs of emotions, temper tantrums, etc., I feel overwhelmed and find myself crying out to Jesus minute by minute. I know "this too shall pass" but in the moment... oh my! lol Thanks for this little "getaway" in my day to sit and soak in the Psalms :-)

Hugs