Thursday, December 4, 2008

Today's Topic: Food

I finally got my post-travel/Thanksgiving self back to the gym today. When I returned home and walked into my bathroom I noticed the smell of fast food and grease. I looked over and the door of my linen closet was open and the contents of the laundry basket were spilling over. Between decorating and washing all the stuff from the camping trip, I have been delinquent about doing the rest of the laundry this week. The smell was my clothes from working at the cafe last night. I got stuck at the fryer. I announced to anyone that would listen, "I am not working the fryer next week," only to be told about 30 minutes later that we would not be serving fried food next week. Likely story...

Ok, the real purpose of the blog today is to share a recipe from a cookbook that my friend, Mary, gave me. It's super easy, great for those nights when you've got events out of the house (like basketball games), and want to come home and have supper waiting. It's called "Crockery French Dip" and my daughter even asked for it in her lunch today -- for the second day in a row, mind you. Now that's deliciousness!

Ingredients: 3 lb. beef rump roast, 2 c. water, 1/2 c. soy sauce, 1 t. dried rosemary, 1 t. dried thyme, 1 t. garlic powder, 3 to 4 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, and hoagie rolls.

Here's all you do: Put the roast in your slow cooker, put everything else in on top of it (except the rolls, of course), cover and set for 5 to 6 hours. When it's time to eat, take out the bay leaf, remove the beef and shread it with forks. Strain the broth. Put the beef on the rolls and serve with the broth for dipping.

That's it!! Jessica and I particularly like it on sourdough bread (that's our fav) and Johnny ate his with a slice of delicious Boar's Head Cheddar Cheese.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Serving the King -- and you,

Jeanette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you put crock pot on low or high? Sounds great!
Thanks!
Kathy

Jeanette said...

My crock pot is the kind that if you set it for 4 or 6 hours then it's on high and if you set it for 8 or 10 hours then it's on low. I set it for 6 hours and it was cooked perfectly.